Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Day 95: Ask a Stranger

Title: Sandy's Demon House

Assignment: Ask a stranger for a suggestion of what to do today. Explaining what you're up to is part of the experience!

Inspiration: The other day I happened upon a great swap meet up by Everett, and decided to spring the assignment upon Sandy and Stan, a friendly couple who sold me some cast iron pans. I was a bit leery about imposing, but I'd brought the book and showed them the assignment, talked a bit about it and Sandy IMMEDIATELY went into this amazing story about the most DEMONIC thing she'd ever seen. One of the houses they'd been paid to clean out had belonged to a family of Orthodox Ukrainians. Now just about ANY house that has years of accumulated STUFF and has been left to the elements and the meth heads is understandably horrible, but she said this had one especially creepy room where the owners had kept their mentally ill daughter, and IN THE ROOM was this ghastly "sewn together stuffed animal/doll thing" with a unicorn head and Sandy couldn't remember what else but it still gave her shivers to think of it. That, along with telling me that they could still see the shadows of the Ukrainian crosses that had hung on the walls and her sinking feeling there would be a ghost around every corner gave me the inspiration for this picture.

Thanks so much for the help, Sandy and Stan! Hope this doesn't give you nightmares! :-)))))


Materials: Pencil, pen, crayons, pastel, on the 2nd draft I tried adding some PhotoShop warping, but I think I prefer the original now; the colors are better and it gives a little more focus to the ghost and toy, rather than the whole picture being nightmarish.





No comments:

Post a Comment